Fine Art by Sally Amthor Barone

Welcome to my paintingful life!

Thursday, August 21, 2014

Seascape Step-by-Step

 I took on an oil painting yesterday--a little daunting, since I've been mainly working in acrylics for the past year or so. I'd forgotten how much I love oil paints--their creamy texture, moveability on the canvas, and forgiveness (I can smudge out mistakes so much easier, layer and blend so much more freely than with acrylics). Sigh... :)
 I started with a blue background and filled in the darks and lights. The seafoam is typically white but in my photo reference it was blue because of the shadows.
 I loved how creamy and "watery" this paint was as I blended the waves! It has a glow of its own.
 Here I started to add some highlights on the waves--reflections from the sun behind the clouds.


The finished seascape. I went over the little clouds in front of the sun again late last night and lightened them up; there seemed to be too much contrast, and they were a little distracting.

Thanks for viewing!

No comments: